Sunday 23 June 2019

Found! Isabella Smith's baptismal record

I'm lucky to live near the excellent Toronto Reference Library and that it is a partner library of FamilySearch, the genealogical records mecca based in Utah.

A few weeks ago, I took myself to the Toronto Reference Library to look at the image attached to the FamilySearch baptism transcription of my maternal 2nd great grandmother, Isabella Smith (1817-1915).

Jackpot! I found the Old Parish Record that confirmed details about both Isabella and my 3rd great grandparents, Donald Smith and Margaret Davidson.


I needed help making out the specific place name before the word Tulloch seen above. I learned that this is Tomghobhain, Gaelic for Smith Hill, a place that is mentioned in this Electric Scotland page, In the Shadow of Cairngorm, which also mentions Abernethy, and place mentioned in many of my Ross and Matheson records.

I knew from Margaret Davidson's obituary, which you can see here, that Donald Smith was from Tulloch. In another great online resource, Scotland's Places, Tulloch is described as:

 "a well-known district on the west side of the River Nethy in the County of Inverness".
Nethy is a place where many of my ancestors lived.

Slowly the pieces of the puzzle of my Smith ancestors is starting to unravel.

With special thanks to Scottish genealogist Jenny Blain for her much appreciated research assistance.

The never ending story continues....




© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2019 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...