Thursday 11 July 2019

Alexander Nelson (1737-1803), pioneer of Old Barns

Updated 16 July 2019

I first mentioned my 4x great grandfather, Alexander Nelson (abt 1837-1803) in this early blog post. Alexander settled in Old Barns, which was in Truro Township, Nova Scotia, having received a Crown land grant.

Among the files I've received recently from a new-found cousin is this extract of an article written by Rev John W. Nelson in about 1900 (I'm probably related to him, but that is research that remains to be done), that was part of a larger manuscript now in the Nova Scotia Archives (and I absolutely want to know more that manuscript). It tells more about Alexander and his wife, my 4x great grandmother, Margaret Robinson (1735-1823). I am especially pleased with what I take as official, albeit still anecdotal, confirmation of Alexander's service under General Wolfe at the Plains of Abraham in 1759, which comes from his grandson, who "was positive" about that fact. See the second paragraph here:

courtesy of Karen Nelson
This extract tells us for the first time that Alexander had at least two brothers who also came from Scotland to New England. This will open up new research for Alexander's parentage in Scotland, not to mention his brothers who joined him in America.

The extract also gives us insight into Alexander as a man.

The Miller book mentioned in the extract refers to the 1873 book by Thomas Miller, First Settlers of Colchester County (N.S.) Below the title is added: down to the present timeCompiled from the most authentic sources. Chapter 12 of the book is about the Nelson family.

In the early 2000s, I provided my own family's descent from Alexander and Margaret to a Colchester historian, Jane Wile, who self-published Descendants of Alexander Nelson & Margaret Robinson of Truro Township, Nova Scotia in 2006. Jane begins her compilation with this:



I have seen unsupported references online suggesting that Alexander Nelson was at the second siege of Louisbourg on Cape Breton in 1758. The Fortress of Louisbourg confirmed to me recently that their historian has no record of an Alexander Nelson at that event.

Alexander received his Old Barns land grant in 1761. He returned to Massachusetts over that winter, and in the spring, married Margaret. Did he know her before he went to Nova Scotia? Or did they meet when he returned from there?


from Old Barns, Clifton and Princeport area by Eda M. Nelson, 1908

I've found supporting sources for Alexander and Margaret's Massachusetts marriage on 15 Apr 1762, which was recorded in town registers of Milton, where Alexander lived, and Dunstable, where Margaret lived. I think that soon after they married, Alexander and Margaret made their way to their Crown land grant in Truro Township, Nova Scotia.

Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620-1988

All of their 13 children were born in Nova Scotia:
  • Elizabeth 1763-
  • William Montague 1765-1842
  • Agnes 1767-1805
  • Archibald 1768-1861
  • Charles 1771-1847
  • John 1772-1857
  • James 1773-1858
  • Robinson 1774-1850
  • Jane 1775
  • Margaret 1779-1826
  • Alexander 1781-1839
  • Elias 1783-1871 (my 3x great grandfather)
  • Alice 1785-
  • Rebecca 1787-1818
Initially, I wrote that they had at least 12 children. Since starting my blog, I've found a confirmed 13th child. As you can imagine, Alexander and Margaret had many, many, many grandchildren.



The never ending story continues....






© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2019 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...