Sunday 23 June 2019

Charlotte Butler Nelson memorial window dedicated at First Baptist Church 1

photo courtesy of Karen Nelson

My Nova Scotia great grandmother, Charlotte Butler Nelson, was a devout Baptist. She joined the First Baptist Church in Truro in 1886, and remained an active member of the congregation for the rest of her days -- that would be 60 years in all.

In 1966, 20 years after her death, Charlotte's son Robert donated a stained glass window depicting the Resurrection to the First Baptist Church in her memory. As was the practice of the time, in all references to this event, she is referred to as Mrs Elias Nelson. Times changed.
Truro Daily News

The window was dedicated at the church is a special service on 10 Jul 1966, and reported on in the Truro Daily News.

Sadly, I don't think the window is installed any longer. I've contacted the church on Facebook, hoping to have a photo of the window. I provided them the story you see here, together with the dedication service program.

They're still looking. What happened to the window, I wonder?

The never ending story continues....







© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2019 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...