Friday 3 July 2020

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young, here. Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother, Isabella Knox, had. Robert and Isabella married in Berwick upon Tweed in 1884. They had ten children:

  • Margaret Knox 1885-1950
  • Elizabeth 1888-1890
  • Dorothy 1889-1967
  • Henry (Harry) 1891-1979
  • Robert 1893-1964
  • Isabella (Izzy) 1897-
  • Elizabeth (Lizzie) 1899-1986
  • William John (Willie) 1901-1977
  • Peter 1904-
  • Agnes 1905-

Censuses from 1891 to 1911 document that Robert, Isabella and their lived in different houses throughout their marriage, but most often in houses in the Greenses, as his parents and grandparents did, and where in fact generations of Youngs lived in the 19th and 20th centuries. Perhaps even in the 17th century. I am in awe of knowing that my ancestors lived in one place for centuries.

The Greens - Low Greens and High Greenses - about 1897
I wrote here about the Berwick house where my mother was born in 1919 -- not in the Greenses.

My grandmother, Dorothy, made her life in Canada, along with her sister Lizzie, who married and lived in Montreal. Their sisters Izzy and Aggie would visit Montreal and return to Berwick, more than once through the years. I remember my mother speaking with them on the phone, but never met them. Their brothers and sister all stayed in Berwick or elsewhere in northern England, to the best I've been able to discover. I'm still researching some of them.

Recently, I've connected with the grandchildren of my grandmother's oldest sister, Margaret. One grand daughter shares my mother's smile, which my niece, her grand daughter shares. That's magical.

The never ending story continues ....





© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2020  All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...