Sunday 2 June 2019

Gathering new found Scots cousin ancestors 4: Grace Smith & John Dow and family

Grace Smith (1814-1891) was my 2nd great grandmother Isabella's older sister, part of the family of Donald Smith and Margaret Davidson. I never knew about Isabella's family until just a few years ago. According to several censuses, Grace was born in Abernethy, Inverness in about 1814. I have nothing more specific than that.

On 23 June 1838, in Inveraron, Banff, Grace married John Dow (1812-1884), who went on to become a farmer at Cardockhead, Knockando in Moray. According to the Old Parish Records marriage register found on Scotland's People, at the time of their marriage, both were in service. Grace was indicated as being from Cromdale. A new clue, as I'm now seeing that my Smiths moved around a fair bit. Grace and John had eight children:
  • James (1840-1916), who was a brewer (I'm assuming a whisky brewer, given that he lived for many years in Aberlour, home of one of those many fine Highland whiskys.)
  • William (1842-1913), an insurance agent
  • Margaret (1845-1893), who was in service
  • Ann (1847-1928), who cared for her own large family
  • Donald (1850-1898), who was a carpet salesman
  • Janet (1852-1917)
  • Peter (1854-1931), a school master
  • Grace (1857-1932)
Their children in turn married, and gave their parents many grandchildren. Some of those served Great Britain in the Boer War, First World War and Second World War and some lost their lives doing that. Others became educators, doctors and nurses. So far, I've connected with just one Dow descendant, thanks to AncestryDNA. Hope springs eternal that I can learn more about their stories.

The never ending story continues ....








© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2019 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...