Wednesday 3 May 2017

On this day: Cecily Nevill was born

by Edward Harding, 1792
from Wikipedia
Cecily Nevill (using the spelling of the day), my 17th great aunt, was born on 3 May 1415 in Raby Castle to Ralph Nevill, the Earl of Westmorland (1365-1425 and Lady Joan Beaufort (1379-1440).

Cecily was the wife of Richard of York, mother of Edward IV and Richard III (my dear cousin Richard of the car park), and aunt of Warwick the Kingmaker.

Cecily and Richard had 13 children in total. She shares her birthday with her daughter Margaret of York (1446-1503), who married Charles I, Duke of Burgundy.

She was called the Rose of Raby and Proud Cis at times during her life. From what I've read, Cecily strikes me as a strong woman, one not to be messed with. Read more about her remarkable life.

The never ending story continues .....

© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2017 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...