Sunday 16 June 2019

Elias Nelson and Charlotte Butler celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary

Updated 17 Jul 2019

My second great grandparents, Elias Nelson and Charlotte Butler, lived long lives, as I recounted here in 2016.

A cousin recently sent me the story below, published on the remarkable occasion of their 60th wedding anniversary in February 1937. The story tells me more about their lives than what is written about them in their respective obituaries in 1942 and 1946.


Truro Daily News, February 1937
I learned that Elias lost his leg in an accident in the Truro railroad yard in 1913. I never knew that. My cousin tells me that he hated his artificial leg, and rarely wore it. I can only imagine how uncomfortable and heavy artificial legs were in the early 20th century. When he lost his leg in 1913, Elias was 59 years old. He was in his 92nd year when he died in 1946. How difficult the rest of his life must have been.

As an employee of the Canadian National Railway, Elias was able to travel by train at a discount. Charlotte was also able to travel on his pass too.

While they were married by a Presbyterian minister on 15 Feb 1877, Elias was a lifelong Anglican, while Charlotte was a devout Baptist. As their children grew up, each adopted either the Anglican or Baptist traditions. I suppose the Presbyterian minister was a neutral territory decision, perhaps?


photo courtesy of Karen Nelson

The Nelson homestead referred to in the story was originally in Salmon River. It is where my grandmother and all of her siblings were born. Yes, Elias and Charlotte lived at the same address from 1877. Elias may have been born there. At some point after 1921, Salmon River was absorbed into Truro proper.

The photo of the house (see left) was taken in 1968. The original structure had been added on to, more than once, over the years. As of July 2019, the house is still standing.







Google Street View July 2015


The never ending story continues ....




© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2019 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...