Sunday 25 February 2018

The Ancients -- Edward III

(first published in early 2017) 

This is a post I've meant to get to. But yesterday I caught the November 2016 episode of the UK Who Do You Think You Are with Danny Dyer of EastEnders (no, I don't watch it). When the very entertaining episode aired it, was hailed by many, including The Guardian (!) as the best WDYTYA episode ever.

Anyway, it turns out that cockney Danny Dyer and I both descend from Edward III (1312-1377), along with millions of others, but still....another one of those Plantagenets. Edward III is my 20th great grandfather, and Danny's 22nd great grandfather. We share another direct ancestor, Henry "Hotspur" Percy (1364-1403), but that's another story for another blog post down the road. Danny is also a direct descendant of Thomas Cromwell, but I'm not, so back to Edward III.

Edward was only 14 when he ascended to the throne.

My descent from Edward is through his youngest son, Thomas of Woodstock (1355-1397)

Back to Danny. Watch the WDYTYA episode. It's a gem.

The never ending story continues.....



© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2017 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...