Saturday 27 January 2018

Found: The graves of Duncan Ross and Marjory McDonald




Duncan Ross and Marjory McDonald are another of my maternal third great grandparents. Randomly searching on Google (yet again, a genealogist's best friend), I've found a record of their deaths on Billion Graves, with the incredible added bonus of a photograph of their grave marker. The inscription reads:
Erected in memory of Duncan Ross late farmer of Ryduack who died there the 24th Sept 1824 aged 48 years and Marjory McDonald his spouse who died 7th Feb 1844 aged 63 years. 
This stone was placed by their two sons Donald Ross and Thomas William Ross.
Now, the last line above leads me to believe that this marker was erected after the death of their brother, my 2nd great grandfather, Alex Ross, who died about 1855, whose exact death date remains unknown.

There are two more lines below the last line above, but I can fully decipher these,

The grave is in the ancient kirkyard of Kincardine Church, which still stands today, in Abernethy and Kincardine, which today is in the county of  Inverness, Scotland, but until about 1870 in the county of Moray.

The dates and ages provided on the marker give me information to further narrow my search for their births, which hopefully will lead to confirmation of their parents.

The never ending story continues....


© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2018 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...