Saturday 10 November 2018

Doherty and Dougherty: Electricity pioneers in Montreal

The interesting things that you find while randomly researching often become a-ha moments.


Lovell's Montreal City Directory 1908-1909
I knew from earlier research that in the first few years after he left McGill University, my grandfather established his professional career working as a manager at Hill Electric. He had studied electrical engineering, and a family tale had it that he--single-handedly seemingly--brought electricity to Montreal. But I digress.

The Gazette, 7 Jul 1907
I've now found a 1907 death notice for Michael Joseph Doherty (1867-1907), youngest child of Judge Marcus Doherty, and he too, was a manager at Hill Electric. A-ha! What a coincidence of a find.


My grandfather and Michael were second cousins, as seen here:


Electricity pioneers ran in my family in the early 20th century, it seems.

It's also clear that they knew each other, for my grandfather was listed among the mourners at Michael's funeral. Yes, his last name wasn't spelled the Dougherty way, but there were no other Doherty family members whose given name started with a J.

I'm always struck by the absence of any names of women in notices about who attended funerals back then.

The Gazette, 9 Jul 1907
The never ending story continues....






© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2018 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...