Monday 22 October 2018

Found! And then there were three: Ann Mathieson 1842-1873

I'm on a roll finding out more about the lives of my great grandfather Frank Gillanders Matheson's eight siblings. It was only a few months ago that I found details of my 2nd great uncle John Mathieson's life. Now, I've found out about their youngest sister, my 2nd great aunt, Ann Mathieson (1842-1873).

This came about after I spent time recently looking closely at some of my AncestryDNA matches with either no trees or private trees, and comparing shared matches. I contacted one of these predicted 4th cousins, who confirmed after looking at my tree that she descends from Ann, and gave me her husband's name along with their marriage date. Ann married Robert Hossack in Edinburgh on 15 Dec 1865. That started my latest search down the genealogy rabbit hole.

Annie Matheson & Robert Hossack marriage record, Scotland's People
Now, Annie's mother, my 2nd great grandmother, Margaret McKenzie had died earlier in 1865 (on 5 Mar), and is listed as such above. But look at that witness name: Margaret Matheson. Who can this be? I've not found any record of yet another long lost sibling. Perhaps this Margaret was a cousin.

Annie used the "ie" spelling in her last name like her older brother John Mathieson (1829-1908).

Robert was a tailor from Alves in Moray, and it was to Moray he and Ann returned by 1870. They had four children between 1866 and 1871, the two eldest born in Edinburgh and the two youngest in Elgin.
  • Margaret Mathieson McKenzie Hossack (1866-1921)
  • Robert Hossack (1868-1929)
  • Christina Hossack (1870-1890)
  • William Hossack (1871-1871)

Here they are in the 1871 census, living in Elgin:


Annie's birthplace reported here is incorrect. She was born in Urray, Ross-shire -- as noted in her baptismal record that I found several years ago on FamilySearch. Thanks to having a common name, I've not been able to find her on the 1851 or 1861 censuses, so far.

Sadly, Annie died aged just 31 from diabetes, a disease that my grandfather John Matheson (1884-1964) also had, so now we know that diabetes definitely ran in the family.

Ann Mathieson Hossack death registration, Scotland's People
My hunt for the six other Matheson 2nd great uncles and aunts continues. I won't be surprised to find at least one who migrated to Canada, Australia or America. Meanwhile, I know I've got yet more Matheson/Mathieson DNA cousins out there.

The never ending story continues....





© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2018 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...