Saturday 10 March 2018

Riding a genealogy coat tail!

Yesterday, my genealogy friend Gail Dever shared a 9 Mar 2017 Library and Archives Canada news item on her Facebook group about a recent acquisition, New Rare Book: Tupper Family Bible. The bible, dating back to the 1870s, had been given to Charles Hibbert Tupper (1855-1925) by his parents, whose father was a Father of Confederation and Canadian Prime Minister in 1896, Sir Charles Tupper (1821-1915).

Sir Charles Hibbert Tupper
Sir Charles is my 4th cousin 4x removed. Our common ancestors are my New England-born 7th great grandparents, Eliakim Tupper (1681-1755) and Joanna Fish (1689-1760). Two of their sons, my 6th great grandfather and Sir Charles' ancestor, were among the New England Planters who settled in Nova Scotia at the behest of the British government, starting in about 1760. As I said here, Tupper descendants are spread across North America today, stemming from the original New England Tuppers and the Nova Scotia Tuppers.

Read about the achievements of my cousin ancestor in this Canadian Encyclopedia entry.

Of course, I'd love to get my hands on that bible, just to see all of the many new family details it contains.

Meanwhile, it's great to grab on to this news and be able to say that I'm related to the one-time owner of this bible.

The never ending story continues.....



© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2018 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...