Friday 23 March 2018

If I could only talk with a few key ancestors ......

I'm picking up on this Olive Tree Genealogy 2013 blog post that asks "Which ancestor would you like to walk back into your life?"

Of course I can't pick just one. It's just impossible. I tried. I still have far too many loose threads in my relatively immediate direct ancestry. But for the sake of brevity, here are my choices -- they're all either in Ireland or Scotland:
  • my 2nd great grandmothers, Mary Ann Diamond (1804-1842) and Margaret McKenzie (abt 1798-1865)
  • my 3rd great grandparents:
  • James Dougherty (d bef 1830) and Isabella McLaughlin (d 1830)
  • Edward Caroline (d bef 1834) and Rose Sheridan (d bef 1842)
  • Hugh Donovan and Bridget Connor
  • Isabella Gillanders (abt 1775-bef 1851)
  • my 4th great grandparents, Alexander Nelson (abt 1737-1803) and Margaret Robinson (1735-1823)
My questions would be the same for each:
  • Where were you and your parents born?
  • What are your and their birthdates?
  • Do you know the names of your grandparents and their details?
Oh, you've noted that yes, there's a pattern here. All I'm trying to do is to push back my research to another generation. The dream (or is it the lament?) of all family genealogists. It's the little things, after all, right?

The never ending story continues....



© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2018 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...