Saturday 19 August 2017

The mystery of Mary Ann Dougherty, born about 1854

A few years ago, when I found my great grandfather John James Dougherty (1833-1893) in the 1871 Canada Census, his household included a mystery. At the time, he was married to his first wife, Mary Ann Gannon (1838-1871)  and living in Granby, where he gave his occupation as a farmer and butcher. Yes, Mary Ann died soon after the census was conducted.

But also listed was a child, Mary Ann Dougherty, whose age given was 13 and who was reported to have been born in the United States. Who was she? I decided at that time to attribute her to an earlier marriage of Mary Ann Gannon's or of my great grandfather (although I could find no record of an earlier marriage), but was unable to find any further information about Mary Ann.

1871 Canada census, Granby, Shefford, Quebec 

1877 Cincinnati city directory 
Then, last year, I found Mary Ann in the 1877 Cincinnati city directory living at the same address as my 2nd great uncle Joseph M. Dougherty (1835-1886), along with a Marcus Dougherty, who I concluded was yet another 2nd great uncle (he couldn't have been my 2nd great grandfather, also a Marcus Dougherty, as he died in 1864). At that time, Mary Ann would have been about 23 years old.

But while that that Marcus Dougherty appears in the 1878 Cincinnati directory, Mary Ann did not, and I couldn't find her anywhere.

 Then a few weeks ago, I happened upon a 7 year old "Mary Ann Docherty" in the 1861 census of Elgin Township in Huntingdon, Lower Canada, living with an elderly couple in a log house, who was also recorded as having been born in the United States. This was just far too coincidental.

1861 census, Elgin Township, Huntingdon, Lower Canada
Aside from the consistency in birthplace and age, another of my 2nd great aunt, Mary Louisa (1838-1913)  had been baptized in Ormstown, also in Huntingdon, in 1839. It's not too much of a stretch to think that there was a friendship between the Doughertys and McMenamins that endured for several years.

I've got a theory that Mary Ann was a child of the 2nd great uncle Marcus as I'll call him, and a daughter of the elderly couple, whose family name, after some research and consultation, I've settled on as McMenamin. Note that the census taker helpfully lists Edward McMenamin, but identifies his wife as Mrs Edward McMenamin.

Did Mary Ann's mother die in childbirth? Given that Edward McMenamin was 77 and his wife was 60 in 1861, they likely died before 1871, when Mary Ann is living with my great grandfather. But she's not living with him in the 1881 census, when she would have been 27 years old.

What a sad, nomadic life Mary Ann must have had, being shunted from one set of relatives to another as a child.

What happened to Mary Ann Dougherty after 1877? I suspect that one day, I'll find another piece of the puzzle that is Mary Ann and learn more about her life.

But don't get me started about that other Marcus, who could well be Mary Ann's father. I can find no mention of him before 1877 or after 1878.

The never ending story continues....



© Margaret Dougherty 2016-2017 All rights reserved

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...