Sunday 13 November 2016

We Remember 3: Private Andrew Horne (1890-1917)

My mother had a first cousin, Andrew Horne (1908-1988) who was born out of wedlock to my great aunt Annie Matheson (1888-1918). Andrew's father wanted to marry Annie, but for reasons known only to her, refused. Andrew's birth was registered listing his birth father though, and he carried name.


British Army, de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour 1914-1918


After Annie refused to marry Andrew, he emigrated to the United States in about 1909, but returned to Scotland after the outbreak of the First World War to volunteer. Did he see his young namesake in Scotland during his brief times there?

Andrew's military career is recounted in remarkable detail, considering he was a private, in a British Army Roll of Honour.

Kingussie War Memorial

A private in the 12th Battalion of the Royal Scots, Andrew died at the month-long Battle of Arras in April 1917, one of 158,660 British casualties. He is buried at Brown's Copse Cemetery in Roeux, France. Andrew's name is included on a monument to First World War military casualties in Kingussie, Inverness-shire. Kingussie is down the road from Aviemore.


Kingussie War Memorial
I know that his son never knew a great deal about his birth father, or had a relationship with his birth father's family.

Finding out about my cousin Andrew's birth father's life made me feel that I had brought some of his history into the family. I'm just sorry that my research only happened long after he died.

The never ending story continues ....

About the Family of Robert Young and Isabella Knox

I wrote about my great grandfather, Robert Alexander Young , here . Now it's time to write about the family he and my great grandmother...